Comparing Gould’s two versions of the Goldberg Variations by Bach, I found that Variation 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28 are pretty much the same in tempo and dynamics. In general, in his 1955 version of the Goldberg Variations, the tone color and phrasing are more unified like a stream flowing. While in his 1981 version, Gould emphasizes phrasing and rhythmic relations between variations. The tempo is overall slower so that he could add more ornamentation and expression. In Variation 1, the 1981 version obviously has more tension on the left hand, which makes it more appropriate to hear instead of showing off the techniques of playing. I found it very interesting that even though the tempo is faster in the 1955 version, Gould still uses more legato on the left hand. It gives more contracts and depth of both melody lines, especially in Variation 24In the 1981 version, his skipping and flexible playing on the left hand makes the Variation 24 sound like raindrops. This technique change in his left hand gives these two versions of different textures. When comparing the Variation 25 of each performance, I was surprised that the 1981 version is holding the expression and phrasing more than 1955. The 1981 version sounds way more peaceful and unified while the other one has more sadness and singing. Gould seems to give me the explanation for that because when I get to the Variation 26, I think he tries to maintain the consistency of the tone color, and mood in the 1981 version instead of making the Variation 25 the only maverick of the entire composition, which is not quite “Bach”.