1.SOUND FROM PLANETS

Description: The first sound I would put into the Golden Record is all planet sounds from our solar system. In this recording, the radio waves that come from planets were captured by the specially designed instrument known as an ‘astronomical interferometer’. This device can convert the radio waves into the frequency within the range of human hearing (20 – 20,000 Hz).

Explanation: The reason why I choose the planet sounds in the solar system is that I want to show whoever is hearing this that the golden record came from the solar system by not telling them which planet exactly we are. When we don’t know what kind of development of technology and science and attitude that we are facing, it is better to protect our location. It also shows what frequency that humans could hear so that they could compare.

2.MUSIC REACTED BY ANIMALS

Description: The second sound that I would put in the golden record is a recording that people playing music attract animals. In the video, Cows, birds, elephants, etc. reacted differently to the music that people are playing.

Explanation: According to this video, the music that people are playing obviously could be understood or appreciated by animals that we, as human beings, could hardly understand them. That situation, I think, is somewhat similar to our relationship to aliens. In the video, all the animals showed their friendly attitudes. By putting these music pieces in the golden record, the lives in outer space are more likely to understand our friendly communication and greetings.

3.MUSIC CREATED BY AI

Description: This piece is a soundtrack created by the AIVA (Artificial Intelligence virtual artist). AIVA is the world’s first virtual composer to be recognized by a music society (SACEM). The piece contains many elements of classical and symphony music etc.

Explanation: I choose this piece because not only it shows how developed humans’ technology is, but also this is a piece you could literally see the music by a graphic of tracks.  The duration and rhythm of the notes are very precise, which could be considered as a new type of language that human beings and outer-space lives may use, I think. For example, a different arrangement of different parts of this piece might be a good way to respond to humans after other lives received the golden record.